Below is a simple, step by step, foolproof guide to running your year end routine on Sage accountancy software. I say ‘foolproof’ with confidence – I was given this list of steps several years ago now, and it has never let me down, and when it comes to IT malarkey I’m the biggest ‘fool’ of them all.
From experience this list of steps has worked on all versions of Sage that we come in to contact with, with no problems ever arising. So I have decided to pass it on to our Sage operating readers in the hope that it is as helpful to you as it has been to me.
Before running your year end be sure that you have:
- entered everything onto Sage relating to the year that has just finished, so that records for that year are as complete as they can be, and
- take a back up of the file at this point (it will be this back up that your accountants need to prepare your yearend accounts).
You are now ready to process the year end routine:
- Go into ‘Settings’ on the top tool bar
- Select the ‘change programme date’
- Enter the year end date and click ‘OK’
- Go into ‘Tools’ on the top tool bar
- Select ‘period end’
- Select ‘year end’
- If you want to archive your data for the year in question then ensure that the ‘Archive Company data before year end’ box is ticked (most people don’t do this but there’s no real reason why you shouldn’t if you want to)
- Ensure that the year end date and the current date are the same and click ‘OK’
- A warning will show on screen re a year end in current financial year, ‘click ‘OK’
- The computer will then rebuild period actuals
- The print screen will show, click ‘OK’
- Change your programme date to today’s date and click ‘OK’
- The year end routine is now complete.
Things to note:
- You do not need to wait for your accountant to give you opening balance adjustments before running your year end routine
This article was written by Deborah Bradley on behalf of the Balance Team.
Please leave your comments below.